Apprentice Business Administrator (Public Protection Department) - South Lakeland District Council
South Lakeland District Council is a local government authority in Cumbria, with the main offices based in Kendal. Some elements SLDC are involved in are Planning, Council Tax, Refuse and Recycling, Benefits, Housing, Licensing and other public services in the South Lakeland area.
Our headquarters are situated in the attractive market town of Kendal on the banks of the River Kent and on the doorstep of not one but two glorious national parks, the Lake District National Park and the Yorkshire Dales.
Our vision is: “By involving people and creating opportunities we will make South Lakeland the best place to live, work and visit.”
Our three key values are:
- Valuing people
- Have you finished your GCSE’s and are you about to leave school this summer?
- Have you left school and are looking for a chance to work and gain a qualification?
- Are you wanting to achieve a BTEC Level 3 or 4 in Business Administration?
This role is to assist in the provision of day to day administrative support in the public protection team alongside completing a BTEC course of study in Business Administration.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Apprentice to work within the Public Protection Department at South Lakeland District Council providing a professional business administration service. Duties will be varied and will include creating and updating records, dealing with enquiries and produce documents as requested by the team. Providing strong general day-to-day administrative support to the various teams in the department will be challenging and rewarding.
If successful, you will gain exposure and practical experience to a range of departments within the Council's Public Protection team, whilst also attending Kendal College one day per week to study for your BTEC qualification.
Duties and responsibilities:
- To contribute to the achievement of targets, aims and objectives contained within the service plan.
- To help support the councils health and wellbeing objectives including organising the annual health and wellbeing week.
- To create and update electronic records on the internal IT systems.
- To deal accurately with telephone enquiries and message handling and triage calls where appropriate.
- To produce word-processed/database/spreadsheet documents as requested by the service.
- To update and maintain key information on the internal sharepoint system.
- To undertake general clerical support including processing incoming and outgoing mail, filing, photocopying, scanning and information gathering, data and intelligence.
- To filter, review and distribute information across the public protection team.
- Organise and coordinate meetings or training and when required, attend to take a record of proceedings.
- Attend college for the designated apprenticeship course in Business Administration and complete assignments within the timescales set.
ABOUT THE CANDIDATE
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other members of the team and the public
- Good communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Good numerical skills
- Ability to manage own time effectively and have good organisation
- Ability to work under own initiative
- Problem solving to achieving practical solutions
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to demonstrate confidentiality and integrity.
- Experience and good knowledge of working with Computers and Microsoft Office applications.
- Previous work experience involving dealing with people.
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent grade A* to C including English and Maths.
- Further development into technical roles within SLDC or business administration positions.
Hours of work:
Age Appropriate National Minimum Wage
Kendal, LA9 4DQ
25 Jun 2018
How to apply:
Applications are to be completed via the South Lakeland District Council website. It is important to consider our guidelines before completing an application form with us.
Be sure to take your time when completing this application, ensure you consider all the required skills and responsibilities and what you can offer. If you would like any support in completing this application, you can access support from Student Services at Kendal College on 01539 814725.